Hi there and welcome to another episode!
In this episode I’m sharing some valuable insights from a great book I’ve just read, The Gap and The Gain by Dan Sullivan & Dr Benjamin Hardy.
It’s a book we’ll be reading in GROW – my personal growth/book club in June.
There really is magic in the key concept they share - how a simple mindset shift in the way we tend to think about, and measure achievement & progress, can transform our lives.
Let me briefly explain…
Most of us, me included, are often hard on ourselves when it comes to evaluating the progress we make against our dreams and goals. Our achievements.
In particular, ambitious people often feel they’re ‘not enough’… not achieving at the rate they feel they should be… and discontent, pressured or unhappy as a result.
But the authors point out that we can easily turn that around – with a simple strategy for staying positive, happy and motivated – and that the key reason for feeling that way is simple.
It’s because of the way we’ve learned to measure our achievements by focussing on what we haven’t yet achieved (The Gap) – rather than on how far we’ve come (The Gain).
And while the book focusses on high achievers, there really is something universal in it for everyone.
Here are some of the key take outs you'll learn:
- How much of what we’ve learned in life leads us to be chasing new things that are out ahead of us. Like moving targets, they often seem out of reach. When we measure ourselves against that ideal we’re chasing, we’re in ‘The Gap.’
- How, when we make a simple adjustment to measure ourselves against our previous selves and how far we’ve progressed - the person we were when we set our goals and ideals - we focus on ‘The Gain’.
- Focussing on ‘The Gain’ leads us to clearly see the progress we’ve made. What we’ve achieved. How far we’ve come. Our wins. Our growth. The positive sides of achievement, that naturally bring confidence, inspiration, satisfaction - and joy!
- How it’s a subtle shift in approach that brings a massive shift in mindset and daily good feels! Bringing positive, powerful emotions that motivate us to keep pursuing and achieving our goals – feeling good about ourselves along the way.
- How the status quo is to focus heavily on what we haven’t achieved. What ‘The Gap’ is between where we are and where we want to be – and how that creates an unnecessary and heavy negative compound effect on us.
- How focussing on ‘The Gain’ means measuring our progress against where we started. Not comparing ourselves to others or something external - and how this has enormous psychological benefits.
…and so much more.
It’s really a deceptively simple yet multi-layered concept and learning more about it will have you feeling good, feeling grateful, and feeling like you’re making progress even when times are tough.
If you're finding that happiness eludes you no matter how much you strive, then learning this easy mindset shift could set you on a life-changing path to greater fulfilment and success.
Enjoy the episode, and if you’d like to read my blog about the book you can find it here…
It’s a great book and I can’t wait to read it, discuss it in GROW and most importantly, implement what we learn.
If you want to join us for GROW in June you can learn more and signup here…
I’ll be back next week with another inspiring episode, so make sure you subscribe to the podcast so you don’t miss it.
Until then, dream big & start practising focussing on The Gain!
Dream Life Founder
- The Gap and The Gain by Dan Sullivan & Dr Benjamin Hardy
- Learn more about my Personal Growth Club - GROW here.
- Join the Dream Life Podcast Facebook Group here - and jump into discussions and learning with like-minded people.
- If you love this episode, don’t forget to subscribe for more inspiration – and please tell us what you thought by leaving us a review!
- …please help up spread this inspiring message to even more people by sharing our podcast on social media with the hashtag #101milliondreamers
- Download a review of Kristina’s Top 10 Favourite books of all time
- Buy Your Dream Life Starts Here audio book, by Kristina Karlsson
- Buy Your Dream Life Starts Here e-book, by Kristina Karlsson
- Learn more about my Habit Club here.
- Shop inspiring and meaningful products at The Dream Life Store here.
- Follow Kristina on Instagram
- Follow Kristina on Facebook
- Be inspired to Dream Big as Kristina takes you through her free 101 Dreams Audio Guide
My dream is to inspire and empower 101 million people around the world, just like you, to write down three dreams, and go chase them!